Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Users From Moving Folders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwithi

Technical User
Jan 13, 2008
GB
Afternoon Chaps!

I am starting to get more and more problems with users 'accidentally' doing a drag n drop on their network drives, therefore, moving folders all over the place without realising.

I have read that it is possible to stop them movinf folder by restricting permssions on the folders, but this has to be done individually on the folder.

I have also heard that their is supposed to be something in the registry that you can add\change the brings up a pop-up box when you do a drag n drop asking you if you are sure you want to proceed.

Has anyone heard of this before or know of anyway to stop numpty users from messing things up?

The only option i can think of is to get shot of all the users, although i fear i might be out of a job if i do this.

Cheers

You could set the permissions on the drive and then they would cascade down to the folders...or create a root folder, stick all the folders in there and set the permissions on the root.

what do you reckon?

I think this is what you're looking for:

You could push this out with GPO by writing a custom admin template, but as it's not stored in a policies hive, it wouldn't be "fully manabeable". But maybe it can also be written to the policies hive, I haven't tried it I'm afraid.

Good Luck !!

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Thanks for the replies.

I think i might have the title to this post slightly wrong. We are ideally looking to be able to have the users be prompted for confirmation before they move the folders.

We cannot really alter permissions as users might have a genuine reason for moving them around.

I have just tried what the link said locally on a PC and it still allowed folders to be moved without any prompt appearing.

Sorry, you're right - it doesn't. This is annoying me now ! I've tried a few different things but nothing works. The only thing I can think of is to write something in VBS that would monitor for a drag or file/folder move acton and then provide the user with a custom prompt before continuing. But I can't help you on that I'm afraid. However, if you have a look at "Hey, Scripting Guy" you may find something on there:

Sorry I coudln't be of more help. If you do ever find out how to do this, post back and I'll give ya a
star.gif
!!

Best of Luck

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Are we talking about files being saved locally, or are are your users profiles set to save their documents and settings to the server?
Normally if users are messing things up don't you have to use gpedit.msc to enable the "Remove network connections" and the "Remove Network Places"?
And if a file needs to be sent to another user get them to email it to that user.
Make things difficult for users if freedom causes chaos.

Working towards my MCSE/A and CompTIA. Any help greatly appreciated.

Yeah the steps outlined do not work on XP (must have been a 2000 thing?). Anyone ever find a solution for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back