Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prevent user to export database object from a new database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurav

Programmer
Apr 5, 2004
US
I secured my database, creeating group account and different permission level to my users. Users need to see different data, so I gave them table read data permission. I don't want to let them be able to export the table and look to all the data. Ho can I prevent that?
Thanks
Laura

There are two answers.

1. You can limit their access to the tables, and only allow access to the data via queries. The queries you must specify as RWOP (run with owner's permission) so they may be granted more permission than the user has on the table itself. This can help you 'hide' your tables from the users and ensure they don't do anything that you don't allow them to (i.e. allow them to edit certain fields, only allow them to delete certain rows, etc).

2. You absolutely cannot prevent your users from 'stealing' the data. This is a tough problem, and it's not even fully solved if you go to a server-based database to store the data (though it definitely helps). But if your data is stored in Access/JET, any security, including the abovementioned, can be cracked, so if you're worried about that sort of thing...

If you're interested, go ahead and read my FAQ on the subject: Gauging your security needs; alternatives to Access/JET security faq181-3893

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back