Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent toolbars from being installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2004
GB
Hi all, I am using IE6 on both Win2K SP4 and XP SP2 in a 2003 AD environment, until recently I thought I had IE pretty well locked down users can't get into the settings options so they can't cause any serious damage. Recently I have noticed search bars have started appearing e.g. the google search bar, I really don't want users to be able to do this.

Is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks.

Have you thought about using group policy to lock this? If I remember there is a setting you can disable in group policy that will not allow changes to the toolbar, and depending on the situation you could block downloads altogether.

I am using various Group Policy settings including one that "Dissables custonizing browser toolbar buttons" and " Dissable customising browser toolbars" yet they still seem able to add these toolbars. I imagine they arn't selecting them in a toolbar but installing them straight from the internet.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

So there is no way to lock the IE interface so these toolbars cannot be added or are removed at startup.

I'm a bit wary of disabling ActiveX as MS say allot of web sites will fail to work correctly without it.

Thanks.

Yes i did look at them and they do look good, do you have experience of running them on 300 PC's tho?

This is the problem i don't really want to have to visit them all :-(

Cheers.

Does your network use a web-blocker program which uses keywords?

Solved the problem on our public-access PCs by adding 'toolbar', 'hotbar' etc to the list of banned words, so the toolbar download page is blocked. Google will still work, as the download page is separate. A bit fiddly, but is the only thing I have found works so far!

I seem to of solved most of the problems by removing all of the users from the Power Users group.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back