Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent new data being used when using Archive backend

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekBiker

Technical User
Nov 26, 2010
GB
This follows on from my previous post about allowing a user to switch between CurrentData and ArchivedData backends. The advice about this was excellent and is in place, but I now see a danger that a user could start entering new data when connected to the Archive, so the data wouldn't appear in normal use.

I looked at opening up the Archive backend as read-only but that seems to be a viewing option only, so not saved permanently. Putting warnings that the database is currently showing Archive data would be messy as there are so many different places where new data items could be entered, so lots of repetition of warnings. The forms that allow the data entry need to be accessible though because they give access to reports about previous data, eg past order invoices.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back