Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent making a local copy of database in R5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStephan

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
DE
Hi,

I've just build up a new database with Domino Designer and put it on a Server, and it wirks fine including ACL adn so on. But I have a little concerning, that even a Reader can make a local copy of this Database in his own Lotus Notes. This would be not a problem at all, if he wouldn't get with this action Manager rights on the Database. So here is my question, how can I prevent, that a local copy of the database can be made by any user accept a Manager?

Thank you

Regards

Stephan

Local copies are not really a problem, just go to the Advanced tab of the ACL properties and activate the "Enforce ACL across all replicas" option. That way, your Readers will always remain Readers, even if they make a local replica.
Also, in the event that your users make a local copy and opt to forget the ACL, they will only be able to copy the data that they have access to, and will not be able to replicate any changes (local COPY, so no replication possible).
Finally, if you really want to keep the db on the server only, you can disable replication entirely. Open the db properties, choose Replication Settings and go to the Other tab. There, you can disable replication, which will also prevent db copying. Unfortunately, if you need to replicate this db to another server, you cannot do this.
Locking the ACL will be your only choice then.

Pascal.

Thank you Pascal.

I tried the idea with the persistant ACL and it works.

Regards

Stephan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back