Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Insert of strings containing only spaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpicks

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
using SQL Server 2000, SP3.

I have a scheduled DTS package that queries against a source table and inserts the values into another table. The source table contains several char columns that contain only spaces. I am inserting these values into varchar columns and want to prevent inserting values that contain only spaces. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? I was thinking of building a UDF to handle this, but need some suggestions to get me headed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Why not just check the length of the trimmed field first?

IF LEN(lTrim(myField)) > 0 ....

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

fart.gif

Thanks mwolf00!

I wrote a function to handle this. I want other developers to be able to reuse the logic without having to write the if/then statements for the hundreds of fields I need to apply this to.

Code:
CREATE FUNCTION convertEmptyStringToNull(@FieldName varchar(100))
RETURNS varchar(100)
AS
BEGIN
   DECLARE @convertEmptyStringToNull varchar(100)
	IF LEN(LTRIM(@FieldName)) > 0
		Set @convertEmptyStringToNull = @FieldName
	ELSE
		Set @convertEmptyStringToNull = NULL
	RETURN(@convertEmptyStringToNull)
END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back