Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prevent feature from self repairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmovie

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
GB
Hi All,
Ive got an msi install on Terminal Server.
The problem is when the users launch the app it always prompts that it is configuring everytime they start it,
i think the OUTLOOKnonbootfiles feature is trying to do a self repair, is there a way of turning this off for this feature???
Thanks,
Richard

Richard,

There are 2 fixes, one after the fact and one from the design of the msi before installation.

1.) After installation: This requires using the Event viewer and editing the Registry.

You must un-associate this component from this installation within the Registry. First, you must find the name of the missing component. After you see the Windows Installer
dialog running a repair, open the Event Viewer by clicking Start, Run, and typing Eventvwr. Open the Application Log and look for the most recent entries where the Source is MsiInstaller. Open each and look for the name of any and all missing components. This code is usually a lengthy alphanumeric string with hyphens. Write the code down or copy it to a text file for easy reference (you can copy from the event windows using Ctrl+C).

Next, when you have gathered the codes for all missing components, perform the following group of steps once for each name found:
Click Start, Run. Type RegEdit.
Click OK. Select the top node of the Registry Tree, then go to Edit, Find…
Enter the Name in the ‘Find What’ box.
In the ‘Look At’ section, select only ‘Data.’
Ensure that the checkbox labeled ‘Match whole string only’ is not checked.
Run the Search.
If the Search stops within a location under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer, this is the area where Installer components are registered.
Delete the Key where the search stopped (the folder in the left pane).

2.) Design time: I have never used this myself, but I have read that deleting the ComponentId string from the component in question removes the self-repair feature for that Component. Keep in mind that if one Component contains many files, the self-repair will be disabled for all files associated with that Component.

Regards,
Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back