Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent directory creation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shibboleth

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
US
Is it possible to prevent users from creating directories in a share but still allow them to read/write to any file in any existing directories? If so what NTFS attributes should be checked?

if you look in the advanced permissions attributes, you can deny the right to create folders/append data.

Shibboleth,

If you allow READ only SHARE permission to the folder/share istself than creating something within the folder/share will be denied. To enable access to the folders within the share you can use specific NTFS permissions for each folder.

Hope this helps,

Patty [ponytails2]

Problem.

I tried brontosauruses method first and everything appeared to be fine. Then I found out when users would open a file and change it they couldn't save it. "This file is read-only" (not true) error came up or even more off the wall errors such as low disk space (247GB free & RAM free).

GrnEyedLdy - I tried just clicking Read for share permissions but that doesn't stop me from making/deleting folders under the share.

Any ideas?

that's consistent with the "append data" part of the deny. can they open a file, change it, and save it with a different name? I know that's probably not a solution...

You are right. Too bad they put those 2 together. Earlier when I tested it I only save a new file so it worked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help though, I'm still trying.

tcambridge suggests using Creator Owner group:

thread96-555807 haven't tried it so I am giving him a bump.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

And this thread....

thread96-545501

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back