Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Copying Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenn29

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
Hi!

How do I create an html page in Dreamweaver that would prevent outsiders from trying to rip-off my content either through right-click or File, Save-As?

Thank you!

hey jenn29,
As far as I can tell, this is done in javascript and is pretty easy to get around regardless. There is a faq file in the Javascript Forum FAQ's section ( faq216-220 ) that contains the code needed to disable right click. Keep in mind anyone can access your files through Saving your webpage or through their browser Cache files and there is nothing you can do about it. However, Check the faq if you want to disable the right click. Hope this helps.
Tim

Here we go again...LOL
There's really no rea; way to protect you're coding, all you can do is give someone a hard time...the right click will just disable the mouse but the user can always go to Edit -> View Source. And a more experienced user can read the code and find the file they want to d/l from there...
U can use frames or iFrames to make it even harder...
I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Although you may not be able to totally stop others from checking out your code you could make it a little more difficult for them...

You could try adding a load of carriage returns to the top of your code, just with a comment at the top to say something along the lines of "Sorry, source code not available".

To those right-clicking or clicking View Source they'll often just see the comment and forget about it, not even noticing the scroll bar down the side that gives the game away!

You can also compress your code so that it all gets scrunched up making it awkward to read - there are various freeware programs available that can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back