Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Changing Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyT

Instructor
Mar 2, 2002
GB
Generally on all our PC's we remove the desktop wallpaper and disable changing wallpaper within gpedit.msc

Several PC's that have had the settings for changing wallpaper disabled have had wallpapers added to their desktops.

Users in question don't have any admin rights on the PC and settings all appear normal so we're unsure what backdoor method they're using to set the wallpaper.

Any ideas how they getting around it and how to stop them permanently.

It's not exactly a company policy but the grief users give IT depts its good to get revenge and take away some of their little pleasures ha ha!

TobyT

I believe that Active Desktop may be enabled.

disable that and prevent it from starting again.

I think they might be getting around it by browing the internet, finding a pic, rt click on it and set as background. I know thats how I got around it elsewhere.

They did finally crack down .. when they did, I could still rt click and set as background, but because active desktop was disabled, my background change wouldn't hold.

-- Pugsley

yea, pugsley is correct. you can get around the lockdown through setting a IE pic as a background. Maybe try setting in your GPO an assigned background (blank blue screen it that's what you want). I beleave if you do that then they can not override it. Havnt tested it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back