Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prevent a user from logging on more than once

Status
Not open for further replies.

ama299

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
US
Greetings,

What I have is Win2000 Servers, with the clients running win2000 pro. I need to prevent users from logging on more than once. I have found some solutions that work on NT, but that does not help me.

Is there a way that works?

Thanks,
AMA

I just tried an AD policy working with CConnect (coming with the win2k server reskit) and it worked.. you need SQL anyway to store logged in users.. my first problem is that I cannot logoff users via command prompt, so at midnight, when my clients are rebooting, if a user is still logged in the account registered in the SQL db is not cleaned and the next time the user tries to log on CConnect bumps it out..
Let me know about and if you find any way to logoff users via cmd
bye

I did find a way through using a script that is working great.

here is the syntex,
NTNAME %USERNAME%
if not errorlevel 1 goto logon_ok
for /f %%f in ('TYPE %TEMP%\OTHERPC.TXT') do @echo Already logged onto %%f %0\..logout.exe
:logon_ok

You just need the NTNAME, and logout.exe which is in the reskit.

Thanks

You are using this script to log out users remotely? If so...how?

This is for preventing users from logging on more than once.

I just added this to my current logon script that mapps user drives. With this setup it does not display any warnings. If you are logged on already it will just log you out.

To log out a user remotely, from my workstation I use a third party program called altiris deployment server which does many more things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back