Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pretty drastic resolution to the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
I had some issues with the data base, so I’ve asked our DBA to find the problem and fix it. In a few minutes the response was: “Killed a user that is using temp space abnormally and freed up temp space”. [machinegun]

Anybody else wants to use the data base ‘abnormally’…[ponder]

Other response was “Killed a user process …”, but I like first response better. [lol]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Killed a user" - Sounds like your DBA is a proper BOFH:
[bigcheeks]

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

I like the "Killed a user . . . " response. I know I wish I could do that at times. [rofl]

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

I hear (but the client does not) this line sometimes, "step away from the the keyboard" (i.e., they have really messed up something, let an expert get involved before it gets really bad :)).

Don't touch it boy! Get away! This is dangerous son, ya gotta know how to handle it, one wrong move and you're done for!
- Foghorn Leghorn

gotta love Unix for introducing words like KILL to the IT lexicon. [bigsmile] oops, sorry, "kill" - lower case of course.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

kill -9 [process] = absolute kill (if memory still works)

There ought to be a movie called "kill -9."

I remember a Pretender TV show where they were hunting a file named "Dono Terase." When they showed the file name on the screen it was "donoterase."

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back