Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preserving creation date of MSG files during archiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenTextDiscovery

Programmer
Jul 7, 2010
US
Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a configuration that would allow a OpenText LiveLink deployment to preserve the creation date of a Microsoft MSG as it is archiving the message. In other words, when an MSG is first received by Microsoft Exchange, it records the time of creation of the message within the MSG's MAPI Property, PR_CREATE_TIME. When that MSG is subsequently archived into LiveLink email volume, I'd like either the Modified Time or the Create Time of the MSG to be set to the original message's create time and not the time the message is archived.

Is there such a configuration setting?

Thanks.

Are you using the Open Text Archive server to archive the Exchange messages?

We have a similar requirement from our users for copying files from file servers - either using Explorer Pro or WebDAV. We want to preserve the files' creation and modification dates in Livelink, but I think our solution will be different from yours.

I would avoid tampering with the system attributes like the creation time and the last modification time. At least the first one can be changed by Oscript but the second one is maintained automatically by Livelink. You can change neither of them by the EWS API, for example.

If you need to make some meta-data from the archived documents visible/accessible in Livelink consider putting them to category attributes. (E-mails have already a couple OTEmail* ones.) It is cleaner and you won't run to troubles when using a system attribute for a different purpose than it was designed to.

--- Ferda

--- Ferdinand Prantl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back