Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Presenting XML in browsers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotreca

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
DE
My problem
I have most of my data on XML which I want ot present on a webpage, however this only works for IE how can I get it to display in the largest variety of browsers (at least the most common browsers) any help would be appreciated.

HOTRECA
[noevil]

Hi,

I think your doing the same sort of thing that I've been working with.

When you bring up an xml doc in IE I will turn it into a tree format - you can click on the +'s etc to expand it.

This is a feature of IE and can be refered to as a client side transform (kindof).

Netscape can also do this - if you look at your xml in it will probably just come out as a load of text, to add more structure to it you need to apply a XSL stylesheet .. Basically it takes your xml and gos ahhh with this node I want to have a big Header ... this child node will be centered etc... (you specify how each mode and attribute will be displayed).

You need to specifiy a xsl stylesheet if you want

If you have a look at and go to the lecture notes look at the first chapter for more details.
HTH
Will

Hi,

I think your doing the same sort of thing that I've been working with.

When you bring up an xml doc in IE I will turn it into a tree format - you can click on the +'s etc to expand it.

This is a feature of IE and can be refered to as a client side transform (kindof).

Netscape can also do this - if you look at your xml in it will probably just come out as a load of text, to add more structure to it you need to apply a XSL stylesheet .. Basically it takes your xml and gos ahhh with this node I want to have a big Header ... this child node will be centered etc... (you specify how each mode and attribute will be displayed).

You need to specifiy a xsl stylesheet if you want

If you have a look at and go to the lecture notes look at the first chapter for more details.

Oh - the only browsers that can do this (Client side xsl transforms) as far as I know are IE 5.5 +, and Netscape 6.2 +

HTH
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back