Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Presentation Svr 4 - Licensing setup (Migration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Hello everyone-

I have a large XPe farm now and want to create a new Farm w/ Presentation Server 4.

I'm worried about licensing. Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to set up the new Licensing Server? Documentation says to create a Licensing Server (how? Specs? etc.?) first.

How do I migrate my licenses? or Are they seperate licenses????

Lots of questions, I know - but any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Brandon

You can use one of the servers in your farm for licensing - you just need to have that component installed.
You can update them from mycitrix.com. But once you upgrade the license that's it - at least it's hard to go back. You would have to contact citrix directly. You can contact Citrix and get eval license's, that way you can "demo" the new farm.

I upgraded one server and had problems because after I ran the install, the license Management Console wouldnt Run because something in my ASP.NET configuration was not right. So, I copied the license files to C:\Program Files\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles and kept my fingers crossed that the licenses were active. It turns out that after I did get the licensing console working, only 5 out of my 15 licenses were active because I had put a capital letter as first part of the server name ( I cannot BELIEVE that there licensing is case sensitive - it is the dumbest thing I have come across year to date). My advice is to set up the licensing server when their support group is open so you can call and make them fix the complicated licensing setup.

Man, so sorry Zink!
I'm still waiting on a call back from Citrix to get a stupid Eval License. Supposedly, Citrix yanked this ability from their Resellers about six months ago. So, I'm just waiting to get that darn phone call.

I've installed my License Server already though...

bran2235 call citrix sell person, tell him you're interested in setup a citrix farm. He should then send you out a 90 days eval. that's how i recieve my eval.

I was successful at installing the License server 4.0. Access Suite console.

Pre-requisite are:
IIS 5 0r 6.0
win2k or win2k3-- sp4 or sp1 respectively
windows Installer 3.0 just in case
JRE 1.4.2_06

After these installation then run the License server software. This software came with a starter license for default appliances connection..you'll then have to download you migration license from mycitrix or your standard license file from mycitrix..cut and paste this in myfiles directory of citrix\licensing\myfiles... Then launch your license management console to administer your licensing server. END...

Sometimes, you just have to forget your head and grab your balls ...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back