Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Presario wont install OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamar225

Technical User
Jun 24, 2004
US
Im working on a Compaq Presario SR5433WM and it fails when installing windows 7, wont reinstall windows vista and blue screens when trying to install win XP, ive removed the modem, tried different, ram simms, removed the hard drive attached it to another pc and reformatted it, removed the CMOS battery and reset the bios to the default settings and also tried to install Win 7 from a bootable USB drive and with it i got a error message stating that it cant locate the ISO image.im gonna redo the USB drive and try again but im running out of things to try.

It possibly needs some hardware driver installed before you can start installing the OS - most likely an ATAPI driver not on any of the Windows disks.

If not, the laptop must be broke! Was it working correctly before you started an install?

Regards: Terry

How does it fail with Windows 7?
Why won't it reinstall Windows Vista?
And what does the blue screen for Windows XP say?

Basically what errors are you getting in all installations. Otherwise were are taking blind guesses.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Don't really know how old your machine is. In the older compaqs, you couldn't just format them. They wanted some special diagnostic partition put in before any windows based system would work. This has to be the first partition. It cannot be added after formatting: it has to be done first. Check on the HP site - see if there is a program for diagnostic partitions for your model.

xwb said:
Don't really know how old your machine is. In the older compaqs, you couldn't just format them. They wanted some special diagnostic partition put in before any windows based system would work. This has to be the first partition. It cannot be added after formatting: it has to be done first. Check on the HP site - see if there is a program for diagnostic partitions for your model.
Really? I've owned Compaq Presarios since 1998 or so, and I've always been able to to format them without any diagnostic partitions.

My newest Presario right now is a 5 year old 2100 Laptop and I've installed everything from Win98 dual boot with XP to Linux in those years without any issues.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

its a problem with the mobo, had to change it.
Thanks guys

Glad you sored it out.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back