Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prerequisite Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccshadow

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
I've been having some issues getting VS to create new projects without generating errors. After some research, I found that the Server Components needs to be installed and I need to be added to the VS Developers and Debugging groups.

Our IS department performed the installation on our intranet server, which at the time was running Windows 2000. IIS is configured to use Windows Authentication, however after the installation of the .NET framework, and Server Components users were being prompted for their username and password to open only Microsoft files from our intranet. If they canceled out of it, the file would still open. I'm no IIS genius, but it seemed like the Windows Authentication was somehow being circumvented.

When the site was moved to a test Windows 2003 server, the problem went away. We incorrectly concluded that something with the OS was causing the problem and decided to upgrade the intranet server to 2003. As soon as we installed the prerequisites on the upgraded OS, the problem reappeared.

Our LAN Admin thinks its due to the Front Page Extensions. I don't use Front Page, so I told him they didn't need to be installed but apparently there isn't any choice in the matter.

Can anyone shed some light on what is causing this problem and/or how to get around it?

From what I hear, you may want to check the NTFS permissions. --- perhaps your web users have alot of power.. ---

Do these users login a domain? Perhaps when they cancel out of the authentication box it just uses their NTFS credentials.

--------
Jason Burton
Leximedia,LLC.
jab@leximedia.net
Donate toward Katrina Efforts! --

The users have read and execute rights. Before we installed the Server Components everything worked fine. The server is set up to use only 'Integrated Windows Authentication' to access our intranet. The html pages display fine and even some pdf files, but most of the documents come up with the uid/pwd dialog box once we install the Server Components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back