Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preparing for CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

desikan

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
AE
Hi all,
I just passed CCNA with 912 score. I would like to start CCNP preparation.
I am rather blank about the study material required for the various papers.
Grateful if any one can suggest which material is most suitable for the 4 papers in CCNP and also any ideas about the preferable order in which these papers can be taken.

Many thanks
Desikan

Desikan, well done on passing your CCNA. CCNP wise its all a matter of opinion but I have found the Cisco CCNP Exam certification pack excellent, I have also used Learnkey CBT for the first three exams. For the exams some hands on is a must so its worth getting some lab gear if you havent already! I found the BSCI exam the hardest (so far still to take CIT) again peoples opinions will vary on this. Good luck

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

Desikan,
Congrats on the CCNA!!!!!

I agree with gwildfire above - get yourself some books, I have always liked the combination of Cisco Press and Sybex.

CBTs can be GREAT, I am using CBT Nuggets as I study for the CCNP myself. I have passed the hard one (Routing) working on Switching now - if you ask me they are all hard and as gwildfire said everyone will have a different opinion as to what to take 1st.

I also like to "google" everything - you would be surprised how much free stuff is out there, I googled "frame relay", "OSPF" etc. - lots of free book chapters and white papers.

Get a good sim - check Boson - they should be coming out with a CCNP one soon. ALSO get some real equipment (EbaY) or online Cisco rack rentals or as listed above - FREE rack rentals.

It is a MUST to get hands on with Cisco equipment, paper CCNAs and CCNPs do not stay employed long. I have had more then one "paper CCNA" go through the Cisco Network Academy with me to learn what he should have - just passing the exam does not get you a job - you need to understand what you are doing.

I wish they were on this post to tell the horrors of being laughed out of an interview!!

Good luck on your CCNP quest!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back