Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prepared to be Stumped - GPO question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

basball

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
Prepared to be stumped :)
I've been locking down printing of excel files at work, via gpo.
I've plugged every whole but one - when inserting an excel file in outlook, a user can right click on the file and choose quick print which will shell out, open excel and and pass a print command, circumventing everything :( There are control identifiers to block quick print from right clicking on an attachment in outlook, but that only works on a received email, not when inserting an excel file as an attachment prior to sending.

just another one for you to block.. but out of curiosity why blocking? unless you block all and any printing people will always be able to print them in one way or another.

And I for example would not like to be prevented from going to a meeting where I could not have printed some of the material required for the meeting (unless your company does not do meetings)

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Specific to Excel only and I've actually blocked every permutation except the one I mentioned above :)

If you did all that hard work of preventing me from printing Excel file from Excel and as an attachment in Outlook, but I can still open it a look at the data in the file (is that correct?), there is nothing to prevent me from hitting PrintScrn on my keyboard or using ‘Snipping Tool’ to grab what I see on the screen and print it anyway.

So I would ask as fredericofonseca stated: "why blocking?"

Have fun.

---- Andy

Print Screen is disabled and they run XP which I don't believe has a snipping tool and even if it did, I've locked the Client with various GPO settings that would make it impossible. My reasons for doing so, are data security related.

this also means you have to disable any type of vba scripting in any of the multiple apps that have it, disable copy + paste, disable "save as type" on excel (as it can be saved with a diff format) and so on.
disable insert object in Word - as you can print from there.

always a way of doing it unless the pc is so so so locked down it becomes impossible to do it - but normally when this happens its also impossible to do any work at all

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

So did you actually have an answer to my original question - lol.

basball - I considered your original question more like a comment than anything else.

but this may help (taken from
as you didnt state outlook version I took most recent one.

It may be however that you have to disable quick print altogether

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back