Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preparation for 70-291

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2008
US
Hello, I took the 70-291 exam last week and failed. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to prepare for this exam. I got the exam cram for this exam but it really didn't prepare me well enough. I have a lot of experience in networking and server 2003 so I'm really at a loss as to why I didn't do very well. I have to admit, you could know the ins and outs but their questions are very tricky and if you don't know their philosophy of thinking, you probably won't do very well. Any suggestions on how I can better prepare myself? Thank you.

I found the Big Blue MS Press book to be a good study guide for the 70-291.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

On the test results page there should be bar graphs showing which areas you had the most trouble with. That's the first place I would look if I had issues with an exam.

Beyond that, TestOut and MS Press are both good sources.

Hi,

i passed the 70-291 around 2 weeks ago

mains areas by far for me was

DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS
routing and remote access

1 sim on mx records

DNS is by far the largest section but i do not use a routing and remote access server i needed to make note in this area as it ment nothing to me

alot of the questions i looked at and saw 2 ways of doing things that would complete the question....but i always over look the part that says "with least amount of administrative effort" i think alot of people fall at this as you would do the solution that will fix it for all users in time to come rather than a possible quick fix

CCENT, CCNA
MCP, MCSA
Comptia: Network Essentials, Security +, A+

I took this today. After studying from an old Sybex book and reviewing 'practise questions' from the usual sources I felt reasonably prepared.

When I started the exam I felt it wasn't going too well. The questions had a bit of a different focus than the ones I had used to prepare. They were often quite simple but quite specific. E.g. less long winded scenarios and more what command would you use to find X. There was obviously still many scenarios but not in as much depth as I thought.

I marked far more questions for review than I felt I should have done and had to make an informed guess on quite a few.

There was no one more shocked than me when I passed with 889.

As mentioned above - DNS, DNS, DNS. It was by far the most examined topic.

Congrats! Some exams are funny like that. Exams that I thought I've done well on I have scored poorly on, while other exams where I thought that I did poorly I scored well on. It's almost as if the scores don't correlate to how well you do, sometimes.

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back