Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prep material before starting the MS study material for 70-536

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan301978

Technical User
Jun 24, 2008
GB
Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help?

I'm keen to get started as a .NET programmer. I'm half way through a book called 'Head First C#' which deals with Windows Forms programming.

However, I think I need to go on a different tack in order to pass the first MS exam for .NET, 70-536.

I understand that the new MS study guide book for this exam is quite good but that it's for people who already have quite a lot of experience with .NET. Also, the version of Visual Studio it comes with only last 90 days, and I think I might need more time than this.

I wondered if anyone:..

a) Knew of any good introductions to .NET I could go through before taking up the MS materials?

b) If anyone has read 'Head First C#' and knows if this already acts as an adequate introduction?

c) Knew whether a student edition of Visual Studio could be picked up even if you are not a member of college but are just self studying?

In order to take any doubt out of getting the right materials, I'm considering taking up a formal course for the 70-536 exam. However, this costs £1200 ($1700), where as I can get the MS book for £32 ($46).

I know this is a bit of a long post so thanks very much if you got this far, any help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dan : )

Hi Dan,

I am new to this forum. Just want to say hi!

I'm planning to take 70-536 in couple of months time. Just want to throw some info what I know.

Try Illustrated C# 2008 by Daniel Solis - Apress Publications. Good book for C# beginners as it gives simple and clear idea how programming works.

Murach's C# 2008 deals with Windows Forms and Database. This book has new method of teaching, which works for me.

The above two books can give you a start in C# Programming.

Finally MCTS 70-536 Training Kit and lots of practice exam will do the job I guess.

Wish all the best!

Regards
Madhan

Hi,

Thanks Madhan.

I've just started on the MCTS training kit for the 70-536 exam. I got three quarters through the book 'Head First C#' before I thought it best to get under way on the official material as soon as possible.

I'm really glad that I worked through 'Head First C#' first. It doesn't cover a lot of the stuff in the training kit but it does cover about half and I've found it to be really useful in thoroughly explaining things.

Thanks once again for the advice. I really appreciate you coming on to give it : )

I wish you the best of luck in the exam.

Thanks once again,

Dan ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back