Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premium addons and CALs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
Ok, I have installed a number of servers in the past, but SBS2011, I am a virgin ;-)

CALs - where on earth do you apply new user calls?

Premium Addon - where do I apply the licence key? I have to install SQL as well, and this is more straight forward, from the DVD and use the seperate Key provided. is the server 2008 R2 DVD used in the process or is this something you have rights to install (Hyper-V?)

Not a lot of walk through's with SBS2011 installs on the world wide wibbly!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Hi,

There is no need to instal CALS anywhere whith SBS2008 or 2011, it's taken on trust, although MS have reserved the right to change this in the future.

The premium add on, all you do is install the software and use the keys, if you are using the premium add on you need to have the right number of premium cals fior the number of users accessing the premium services. You can have a mix of both premium and standard cals.

cheers for the response - finally figured it all out now.

I ended up installing ESXi and installing SBS2011 and Win2k8r2 with SQL in separate instances.... all good.....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

sorry to drag this up but I have a question...

If I only prchase premium for the second OS license (I won't be using SQL) do I still need premium CALS or will the STD ones do?

Thanks,
Paul

thats an excellent question.
the licencing is a minefield.
its all based on trust now, and no cals are "entered" into SBS itself, apart from TS CALs.

Its your call....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back