Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premiere Pro 1.5 Transitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

borgg001

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
MT
I have upgraded from Premiere 6 to Premiere Pro 1.5 and I find the new features very useful. However I am finding a particular problem. When I apply transitions they do not seem to work properly and this thing is puiting me off. When I razor cut a clip and try to join it with another clip by means of a transition, I am always getting the previous frames inserted in between in the middle of the transition. I never found this problem with Premiere 6. In fact I am thinking of reverting back to the older version (v 6). Can anyone help me in this regard.

I haven't got the same problem, but I have just upgraded from 6 to Pro 7, I have noticed that I no longer get video A and video B with my transitions in between, does anyone know how I can get this back?

It depends on how you apply the transition.

If you razor a clip and drop the transition onto a butt joint, then Premiere will add extra frames to cover the transition time for both clips (and cause problems if there isn't enough!). So what you are seeing is entirely normal and predictable, I suspect.

I find it easier in PPro to apply the transition just to one clip on a higher track which has been visually overlapped with the tail of the outgoing clip underneath (rather like the old A/B editing if you've used earlier versions). That way you get very good visual clues about what is going on on the timeline, and avoid the addition by Premiere of unexpected extra frames.

A lot of thanks for your contribution, Akribie. I tried it and it worked. Your idea suggests reverting to the old A/B editing system which I find more manageable. I tried overlapping clips in Premiere Pro and then applying the transitions on the overlapping parts and the transitions seemed to work. However you cannot be sure about the exact result in this case. I guess there should be a way how to apply transitions correctly. After all this is a Professional version of Premiere. At the moment I am using Premiere 6 and apply transitions to my projects. Then I open this same project in Pro to use the added features of the Pro version such as the advanced title creator. However I would prefer to start and finish project within one package.

You should never need to retreat to earlier Premieres for transitions. PPro is really very good in this area once you are familiar with the new interface and the rules of the game.

If you double-click a transition on the timeline in PPro, you should see an expanded A/B-like view in the effects controls window. This is the way to sort out what is going on when you apply a transition between a pair of clips on a single track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back