Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premiere Pro 1.5 Import freezes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdbowling

Programmer
Mar 28, 2003
US
Hello, All.

I am using Premiere Pro 1.5 on a Windows XP SP2 system with 1GB of RAM.

I used VirtualDubMod to convert an mpeg to avi (uncompressed). I then tried to load it into Adobe Premiere and the importing window opened up but the progress bar never got any bars (waited several hours on one occasion).

This surprised me because I thought uncompressed didn't require a codec, but I tried re-rendering the mpeg in several different formats:
cinepak
intal indeo 4.5
xvid
dvix
huffyuv
Microsoft RLE
Main Concept DV
Panasonic DV

All just freeze on import with no progress.

I know premiere works because it will import animations and files captured from my camera (I think that this uses Microsoft DV AVI).

I store all data externally so I even reinstalled windows to install premiere fresh. Premiere doesn't naturally like any of these codecs so I install the Gordian Knot Rippack to get the codecs installed. Same result.

Is there something I have to do inside Premiere to get it to understand where to look for the codec or how to read a new codec? (it understands something about them because many of them would just error out for "unrecognized codec" before I install the Gordian Knot rippack but they still freeze on import after codec pack).

Is there a way to install 'Microsoft DV AVI' as an output option for VirtualDubMod?

I've been at this for days and am getting nowhere, so any suggestions would be helpful (even reinstall windows and do x, y, z).

I've also heard that codec packs cause problems sometimes but do not know how to get adobe to recognize new codecs without installing a codec pack and VirtualDubMod comes in the Gordian Know. (Pretty green about all this, sorry).

Thanks, Everyone.
P

Gather or post content for free.

Have you tried using Virtual Dub MPEG edition to convert to Microsoft DV AVI?

Hmm, no I have not. I did not know there was such a thing. Thanks. I'll look it up. On a side note, when I install a codec, is there something I have to do in Premiere to get it to recognize it? It seems that having the codec on the machine just doesn't seem to be sufficient.
Thanks
P

Gather or post content for free.

Premiere cannot handle every installed CODEC. The Premiere clip window uses OS resources, so tends to play everything. But the timeline can only use CODECS recognised by Premiere - hence the need to transcode some sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back