Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premiere Freezes after relocating files :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSnake

MIS
Jun 3, 2008
NL
Ok basically what went wrong.

I relocated some clips whilst I was editing in Premiere because of Disk-Space issues and I thought I could link the "where is this file?"-tags to the appropriate location,

Turns out wrong.

Premiere froze, and I could not edit. I restarted Premiere and same thing again, I didn't even have the chance to open the projects.

Restarted computer, did not work.

What can I do?

You should find some older versions of your project in the Project-Archive folder, the location of which depends on your version of Premiere which you did not state. Do a global search of your hard drives if you don't know where to look.

If you have moved files, then the best way is to re-open the project and navigate to the location when asked during the opening sequence to locate the missing files. Once Premiere has found one file in a new folder, it will find the others in that same folder. If preview files are involved, safest to skip previews when opening the project and re-render.

Always save a re-opened archive project under a new name in the proper location before you start editing again so that you preserve your emergency copies.

Oh. Yeah, I'd recommend against moving source files for an active project. Yeah...

Your settings for Premiere will probably tell you where your files are archived. But don't spend a lot of time fiddling around, and don't open up some other project and work on it for a few hours before looking to fix this problem. get in there, get the location for your archive files, and start with the youngest ones first.

As per Akribie's advice, ignore all references to preview files (you don't want preview files) and just hope you can "get there from here."

If that doesn't work, try COPYING your PPJ file into some completely other directory, in the hope that by completely resetting its pointers, you have a chance to relocate the files you've moved.

And, of course, don't do that again. 8)

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back