Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

premiere/codec clarification needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafflin

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
US
I am a bit confused and could use some clarification on my situsation here.
I have just reinstalled XP on a laptop and installed premiere pro 2.0. I have not installed any codecs.

I have an AVI that I created from a dvd using auto gordian knot (auotGK). I have been editing this video with premiere pro 2.0 on my other newer system but it wasn't a good experience due to the integrated video. Which is why I am now using my other laptop which has a video card. I copied the file to the old laptop and wasn't able to open the file with premiere. I'm pretty sure that this is due to not having the correct codec installed. The other difference is that my new laptop is running vista (which is very very terrible). but the question i'm asking I guess has to do with the relationship that codecs have with files and their extensions. What codec should I be using for AVI's? And if the codec is what determines the files format in terms of the presentation level, what function does the extension play other than determining what application should be used to access the file?

A CODEC is a piece of software that is capable of encoding/decoding a compressed data stream, in this case video. See for a bit more detail.

AVI is a generic file format within which a wide variety of CODECs can be used to compress the data.

If Premiere has not got the required CODEC, the result can be very frustrating. If a suitable CODEC is on the system, then clips can be played in some or all media players, often in Premiere clip windows, but not off the timeline unless the CODEC is compatible with Premiere (which some of the more compressed CODECs are not).

A free downloadable utility called GSpot can be used to determine which CODEC is required and whether or not it is on the system, but not whether or not it can be played on the Premiere timeline.

Extra CODECs are often available on the web, but as stated, not all are compatible with Premiere so check before you spend any money if it should come to that.

Thanks, that was somewhat helpful. What I did was just install K-lite, I'm sure your familiar with it. Is there no other way to see what codec is being used than with G-spot? I've used that program before, but I'd have though that there was some other application that might do the same.
But thanks for the help with that.

Since GSpot does the job, I suggest you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back