Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preloading External SWF's in Main Flash File

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves07

Technical User
Apr 24, 2007
US
I have a main flash file that loads external swf files when the user clicks any button on the navigation. I have a preloader in the main file that preloads the external when the button is clicked, but then it takes quite some time for the external movie to load. Is there a way that I can preload the external swf's in the background while the main page is being displayed (before the actual button is clicked on the navigation to take you to that page?) Right now its taking about 20 seconds for the external swf's to load, which is way to long. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

braves07

You can start preloading your external navigation .swf's as soon as the main page is displayed... But then they might not load in the order the user would like to see them...

You can preload them in a container movie clip, and assuming they don't start with a blank frame, set the container clip's alpha at 0 and keep sending and stopping the loading movie on it's first frame until it's fully loaded, when you can then start preloading the second one and then the next one...

Regards. FLASH HELP - OPENED FOR BUSINESS!
TO GET YOUR OWN FREE WEBSITE HOSTING

It's not an external navigation.. the navigation is inside the main clip. It's external swf's that only appear when a user click a certain button. For example... there is a home, about and contact page. Each of these pages are in an external .swf. The only time I want them to appear is when their links are clicked... but I would like them to be loading in the background, so it doesn't take as long when the link is clicked (if that makes any sense.) If this is possible would you perhaps have a tutorial link or something I can read further on it?

thanks

braves07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back