Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preg_match_all - just got to be a BUG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sen5241b

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2007
US
I have a PHP script that calls PREG_MATCH_ALL in a loop. The purpose is to test a series of regexs. The script is supposed to call preg_match_all 112 iterations in a loop but with > 9500 bytes search string it dies after about 100 iterations. The larger the input string the sooner preg_match_all dies and kills the script. I've tried changing the regex a little and the input text but the problem persists. I do not get any error messages.
PHP Version 5.2.14
PCRE Lib 8.02
Here is a dumbed down script with the problem:

Code:
<?PHP 
  include_once "boLib.php";
  include_once "bosettings.php";
$checkstr = $_POST['checkstr'];
$currentDateTime = date("Y-m-d-H-i-s-").  substr((string)microtime(), 2, 8);
DebugToLog(' ');
DebugToLog(' ');
DebugToLog(' ');
DebugToLog(' ');
DebugToLog(' ');
DebugToLog('=================================== DEBUG: BEGIN TEST  OF INPUT STRING ON  ' . $currentDateTime  . ' ============================');
DebugToLog('Date and time is ' . $currentDateTime);
// DebugToLog('DEBUG: $_POST checkstr=' . $checkstr);
 $checkstrSize = strlen($checkstr);
 DebugToLog('DEBUG: Input string size=' . $checkstrSize);
  error_reporting(E_ALL);
  ini_set('display_errors', true);
  $real_usage = TRUE;
  DebugToLog('DEBUG: BEGIN MEMORY=' . memory_get_usage());
  DebugToLog('DEBUG: MEMORY PEAK=' . memory_get_peak_usage());
   $encode = mb_detect_encoding($checkstr, "auto");
  DebugToLog('DEBUG: Encoding from mb_detect_encoding=' . $encode); 
  $checkstr = stripslashes($checkstr);  
  DebugToLog(' ');
  DebugToLog(' ');
   DebugToLog($checkstr );
   DebugToLog('DEBUG: Begining memory=' . memory_get_usage());
   DebugToLog('DEBUG: Memory peak=' . memory_get_peak_usage());
	$TempArray  = array(); 
	$matches  = array();	
	$iOffset = 0; 
	$i2 = 0;								
	$array_elements = 112;	
	$abigregex = '/([l]{1}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[u\xB5]{1,15}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[c\xA2\xA9\x80]{1,15}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[k]{1,15}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[i1!\xA1\xEC-\xEF]{1,15}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[n]{1,15}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[!@#$%&*\/\+=\(\)\\]{0,2}[g]) | ((?=([^\*]*?\*[^\*\s]*?(\*[^\*]*?)?))f[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[u\*][-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}c[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}k[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}[i\*][-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}n[-_^.,`~\'\s]{0,15}g)/iux';
	$REGEXSize = strlen($abigregex);
	DebugToLog('INFO: Regex to be used is:   ' . $abigregex . '  =========================================================');
	DebugToLog('DEBUG: REGEXSize string size=' . $REGEXSize);
	DebugToLog(' ');
	DebugToLog(' ');
	for ($i=0; $i<$array_elements; $i++)	
	{
		DebugToLog('-----------------------------------------------------------------------');
		DebugToLog('INFO: Call REGEX Iteration ' . $i);
		DebugToLog('DEBUG: MEMORY IS=' . memory_get_usage());
		DebugToLog('DEBUG: PEAK MEMORY IS=' . memory_get_peak_usage());	
		$TempArray = NULL;
			$regrtncode = preg_match_all(	$abigregex, $checkstr, $TempArray, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE, $iOffset);    
			$REGerror = preg_last_error();
			pcre_error_decode($REGerror);
			if  ($regrtncode > 0)
				{	echo '<BR>WE FOUND SOMETHING! GT zero'; }
			ELSE   {	echo '<BR>NO MATCH! eq zero'; }
	}
	?>

boLib.php
Code:
<?PHP

function pcre_error_decode($REGerror ) {
	echo '<br> Now Test return code=' . $REGerror ;
    switch ($REGerror) {
          case PREG_PATTERN_ORDER:
          print "Orders results so that $matches[0] is an array of full pattern matches, $matches[1] is an array of strings matched by the first parenthesized subpattern, and so on. This flag is only used with preg_match_all().\n";
          break;
          case PREG_SET_ORDER:
          print "Orders results so that $matches[0] is an array of first set of matches, $matches[1] is an array of second set of matches, and so on. This flag is only used with preg_match_all().\n";
          break;
          case PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE:
          print "See the description of PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE. This flag is available since PHP 4.3.0.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY:
          print "This flag tells preg_split() to return only non-empty pieces.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_SPLIT_DELIM_CAPTURE:
          print "This flag tells preg_split() to capture parenthesized expression in the delimiter pattern as well. This flag is available since PHP 4.0.5.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE:
          print "If this flag is set, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the return values in an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset within subject at offset 1. This flag is available since PHP 4.3.0 and is only used for preg_split().\n";
          break;
          case PREG_NO_ERROR:
          // do not print in this case
          //print "Returned by preg_last_error() if there were no errors. Available since PHP 5.2.0.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_INTERNAL_ERROR:
          print "Returned by preg_last_error() if there was an internal PCRE error. Available since PHP 5.2.0.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_BACKTRACK_LIMIT_ERROR:
          print "Returned by preg_last_error() if backtrack limit was exhausted. Available since PHP 5.2.0.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_RECURSION_LIMIT_ERROR:
          print "Returned by preg_last_error() if recursion limit was exhausted. Available since PHP 5.2.0.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_BAD_UTF8_ERROR:
          print "Returned by preg_last_error() if the last error was caused by malformed UTF-8 data (only when running a regex in UTF-8 mode). Available since PHP 5.2.0.\n";
          break;
          case PREG_BAD_UTF8_OFFSET_ERROR:
          print "Returned by preg_last_error() if the offset didn't correspond to the begin of a valid UTF-8 code point (only when running a regex in UTF-8 mode). Available since PHP 5.3.0.\n";
          break;
          case PCRE_VERSION:
          print "PCRE version and release date (e.g. '7.0 18-Dec-2006'). Available since PHP 5.2.4.\n";
          break;
		  default :    
			DebugToLog('<br> the condition does not equal any prev value');
			break;
    }
} 

function DebugToLog($msg){
include "bosettings.php";
if ($LogToScreen) { echo '<br>' . $msg;  return; }
 }

?>

bosettings.php
Code:
<?PHP  
//
$MaxInputStringSize = 10000000;	
$MaxInputToChk = 10000000;			
$DataDir = ""; 							
$LogToScreen = TRUE; 		
$errorchecking = FALSE;		
$MinCheckstrSize = 2;			

?>

that's a long regex.

anyway. more details please:

1. what are you testing for in your regular expression?
2. what kind of data are you testing? how long is the string? 9.5k should not cause any problems.
3. why are you testing the same string with the same regular expression 112 times?
4. how much memory are you allocating to php in your php.ini file?
5. how much free memory is there on your system?
6. what operating system and version are you using?

1. what are you testing for in your regular expression?
>> The REGEX tests for a disguised word --in this case "lucking".
2. what kind of data are you testing? how long is the string? 9.5k should not cause any problems.
>> The data tested is any ordinary blog or post and YES 9.5K is nothing.
3. why are you testing the same string with the same regular expression 112 times?
>> Originally I fed preg_match_all 122 different REGEXs. In this dumbed down version of the code with the same REGEX the problem persists.
4. how much memory are you allocating to php in your php.ini file?
>> memory_limit = 160M
5. how much free memory is there on your system?
memory_get_usage displays 16662616 before the crash
memory_get_peak_usage displays 25118116 before the crash
6. what operating system and version are you using?
>> Linux 2.6

Each call to preg_match_all is separate in the loop and yet after so many iterations it crashes. Perhaps something is not getting de-allocated.

Any particular flavour of linux? And what type of php? Cgi or sapi.

I need to know this info to recreate the environment.

Server API CGI/FastCGI

Godaddy makes it very difficult to determine the Linux type but I am almost sure it is Fedora.

Thx for the help --this is one of the most difficult issues I've had in the last year. I may end up just writing a bug report.

I just talked to godaddy and they have their own "blended" version of linux but the kernel is definitely kernel 2.6.18

it is highly unlikely to be a bug.
It is much much more likely to be a restriction imposed on kernel resources by godaddy.
will spend some time putting together an emulation. It would be useful to have some test data to work with.

I have not been able to disassemble your regex however. I assume you are trying to build a black list filter?

when I try to compile the regex in a perl tool I get an error 'too short multibyte code string'.

are you 100% sure that the regex actually works?

Yes I am trying to build a filter. I manually added backslashes to the single quotes in the REGEX.

What is weird: shouldn't preg_match_all fully deallocate everything after each call in the loop?

For test data I just used a generic article from wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back