Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PREFIX CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyMar74

Technical User
Oct 5, 2005
US
Greetings All,

I am trying to find out if there is a way to globaly change our prefix on my switch. All current extension will remain the same. I am maintaining a CS1000 MG 81C. Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Marty

what are you talking about? AC1?? chg it in the ESN data block ld 86

Mato' Was'aka

Just something to remember, you might have to go into your CLID table and make adjustments there if you are changing your npa or nxx.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Sorry, after reading my own, I could have done a way better job explaining what I needed. Here it is in a different way. MY DID's start with (580)xxx-aaaa. My new DID's are going to be (580)yyy-aaaa. Our nxx will be changing. Is there a way in the switch that I can globally change 580xxx for 580yyy allowing the DID's extensions already programmed remain the same?

Thanks again...

If your NXX is changing you don’t have to do anything, most likely your Telco is sending you last 4 digits any way.

Actually our switch is set up for 5 digit dialing. The first number in our 5 digits is the last number of the nxx. For example my current nxx is an 123 and the the new nxx will be a 456. So I need to do a global change because all my DID stations are programmed as 3xxxx. Now they will have to be 6xxxx. We also have OTM could there be something there to make the change?

Since it isn't possible to have more than 9999 numbers in one NXX, just have the Telco send you 4 digits instead of 5 on DID calls. In fact, they probably only send 4 now. Your leading digit is just there to allow you more DNs internally if needed.

So, internally, you could just keep the numbers the same.

But to answer your question, they isn't a global change for that.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

GHTROUT's suggestion would be ideal as long as the 4 digit numbers that the CO sends do not conflict with any of your existing 5 digit numbers. You would have to use Incoming Digit Conversion to convert the 4 digits to 5 digits. You could probably even convert the new 6xxxx incoming numbers to your old 3xxxx DN's. But then you will always have that mismatch between internal and external dialing.

OTM has a cool Global Update feature called ADN (All DN's).

In Global Update select the ADN (All DNs)feature.
You can then enter 3* in the Old Value box and 6* in the New Value box.
This will not only change all the SCR and MCR keys but also the FDN's, HUNT, ADL, CFW, MWK etc. I have found that TM (vs. OTM) does not do the FDN's and HUNT but it is still easy to do a Global Update on those separately.
Synching the changes to the 81C is still a huge task.
You will need to change any ACDN's for voice mail etc. that are in your DID range. All the changes will problably not take on the first synch since you will have some TN's that FDN or HUNT to phones that haven't been updated. You will probably have to run several synchs to complete all the changes.
With the 81C you could split the CPU's and do all your changes on the inactive core, then cut over to the newly programmed core. This will reduce your downtime from many hours to a couple of minutes.

The CO can modify the digits they insert to get around changing DNs. So even if Mr. Jones is DN 41234 and his direct number is changing to 555-1234 (meaning DN 51234 would be desired), you can have the Telco still send the 4 in place of the 5 as leading digit.

Personally, I'd wait until you had to go beyond 5 digit dialing to make such a huge DN plan change.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

Whoever set your system up did you no favors by using 5 digit dialing lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back