Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preferred Diagnostic Tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuqqer69

MIS
Sep 14, 2001
US
We run a small farm of Servers running Metaframe XP. I guess I have a few questions:
1: Should we upgrade to feature release#1 from XP (How buggy is that upgrade?)
2: What diagnostic tools do you guys prefer? I've seen filemon listed a couple of times, but some people complain that it is a resource hog.
3: Does everyone else have major problems upgrading from 1.8 to XP?

The reason I ask these question is that two of our servers (W2K SP2 running Metaframe XP, load balancing against each other) keep bluescreening, usually about an hour or two apart. We have not initiated a regular reboot cycle. But it only seems to happen when lots of users are on.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

1) FR1 looks more stable to me than the vanilla product - it doubles as a Feature Release and Service pack, so you get some fixes to the IMA subsytem which are worth having without paying the extra for the Feature Release - depends if you need the features or not.

2) Filemon is a problem tracking tool. It's best to run it out of hours because of what it does - it tracks every single file access made by the system. To say it's a resource hog is to miss the point of what it does! have a range of other tools which I have found extremely useful. Another goord resource site is
3) The upgrade from 1.8 to XP is pretty smooth, providing you read the documentation carefully. If you set up a server as native IMA mode, it will not interact with servers still running ICA browser services. I'd recommend doing the upgrade on a test server first.

From the symptoms you've given, I'd guess that you've got a rogue printer driver in there somewhere. I've found that W2k servers need rebooting less frequently than TSE servers.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back