Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Predicting required media 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuedm

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
IE
We've been getting a lot of error 96 (no media available) which is something quite easily preventable. Put more tapes in!!

Problem is my admins are guessing as to how many blank tapes will be needed for any given night.

I have a solution in mind which will look at past use, data growth etc to make this guessing more reliable.

But to start I need a simple script to tell me how many tapes where used on a given day.

I've tried the following command where I try to list all media written to on Sept 9, 2006. But the output shows dates up to the current date Sept 11.

bpimagelist -U -media -d 09/10/06 -e 10/10/06

Is there a better method?

Media Written Report
The Media Written report identifies volumes that were used for backups within the specified time period.
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpimagelist -A -media [-d <start_date> <start_time> -e <end_date> <end_time>]

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

As well as the media written report you can view dates that media was written to/assigned from the NBU console. Select Media and Device Management then select Media. This will list all media currently in use/circulation (that has not yet expired). Once expired the time assigned will be blank.

Northy.

Thanks creakyjoe,
In the link you posted I saw a term "uniqur file". I've never seen that term before. What's it mean?

..neither have i, it means i can't spell for toffee :)

..it should have said unique file

Too funny...if you do a web search on uniqur you will actually find stuff under that name.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back