Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preboot authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptAwesome

Programmer
Nov 18, 2015
RO
Hy guys
I have a little project i need help with. i want to add an authentication to my pc that will run before the boot options and before i can choose to enter bios(authentication means either password or certain key presses). now i have done some research and got some recommendations but it didn't help me much. the best thing i found was Bios Interrupt Service Routine (ISR) and i wanted to check if it might work this way

thanks in advanced

ps:no funny business(hacking, cracking) here, just for my own security. a lot of people think i want this so i can write a low level virus!? that will lock people out of their pc. Nope!

i want to lock people out of my laptop. i want to write it for one chipset, one bios. it's just for my laptop security.

How do you expect to get this code to run befroe the PC boots?
without re-wrighting the Bios rom chip (usualy Eeprom) to insert your code I dot see how this would be possible

Many PC's hav an option to passsword protect the Bios* this would prevent yu users from chaanging the boot options & enable you to continue with std security options

8 unfortunatly this is usualy resettable with a jumper on the mottherboard so physical access would need to be retricted, but with Physical access any password preotection method could be circumvented anyway ...

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back