Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
I was taught that pre means before, earlier, beforehand or in front etc.

What's a pre-owned car, is it really new?

What's pre-sliced cheese, the whole uncut block?

I could go on and on but the question is am I correct, or not?

The two meanings of pre that I see getting used are

pre as in previous: previously-owned car.

pre as in before: before-being-owned car.

But it's an amusing thing to think about it. Pre-sliced cheese. I like that. :)

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

pre-owned car" is one of terms that should be made illegal. I see it as a feeble attempt at literacy.

Pre-approved as in pre-approved loan.
Doesn't that mean before you have been approved?

As ESquared points out... Pre seems to be replacing Previously

[editor hat]
Pre-owned
Pre-sliced

What you have is the prefix "pre" and a verb that has been modified with "-ed" to become an adjective. In this case, it means that the action of the verb was performed at a previous point in time....
[/editor hat]

'Pre-owned' is just a stupid marketing term. Over the years, 'used' acquired an association with lemons (I wonder why?). So a brilliant ad-man decided to use pre-owned instead of used.

The first time I heard the term was in a BMW commercial, as in "certified pre-owned". I guess in the US (where BMW is an upscale car), the type of person to buy a BMW would never buy a used one, but would be OK with a pre-owned one.

Preowned" carries the subconscious good-feeling connotations of presliced, prewashed, preauthorized, preassembled, predicted... oh, not that one.

Do they really have to be spelled with a hyphen? (And would I call it a dash?)

(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

How about pre-approved?

I don't feel the subconscious good feeling... There must be something wrong with me.

Maybe it's that aversion to debt we all try to cultivate in ourselves to prevent us from wrecking our lives.

Pre-approved is using the meaning of before rather loosely. In other words, the loan is approved before selecting the item to be purchased.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

So, perhaps a pre-approved loan should be called an approved pre-loan approval? I tend to think, however, that the pre of pre-approved loan actaully modifies the term approved loan instead of just the term approved. Therefore, a pre-approved loan would be something that comes prior to the offering of an approved loan. Most, if not all, pre-approved loans or lines of credit still require a full application prior to the actual loan approval.

It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but when does our language?

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

Speaking of 'pre-owned' vs. 'used'...

There is a shop near my use that advertises "Guaranteed Used Tires!" ...and I wonder: what will they give me if I take one home and find out it's actually a NEW tire?

--Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back