Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-Printed Form and Report Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenman

Programmer
Dec 21, 2000
US
I have a customer that is using a pre-printed form with 3 duplicates (printed on a dot matrix). He has been using an access application that is very clumsy, and I am trying to fix some problems he is having. Currently, there is a form that allows him to enter data. One of the places on the form allows for data to be entered as CUSTOMER NOTES:

When the data is entered, the original programmer used 4 Notes fields...Notes1, Notes2, Notes3, and Notes4. When the Report is printed, it is shown as follows....this is so that the notes can be up to 4 lines long.

CUSTOMER NOTE: Notes1
Notes2
Notes3
Notes4

When the user is typing in notes data, they have to utilize the 4 fields to spread out the data so that it it fits on each line. Notice Notes1 field can fit less data than Notes2, Notes3, and Notes4. One problem is that sometimes what displays on the Form does not acutally print on the Form. The original programmer tried to choose good allowable text lenghths in the Form, but depending upon capitalization and punctuation this sometimes doesn't work. I am not too concerned about this problem, as I am trying to solve the problem using a single memo field.

My plan was to turn these 4 fields into 1 memo field. The problem I am having is....how can I indent the top of the Memo field so that the pre-printed CUSTOMER NOTES is not written over by the beginning of the memo field.

If I can't indent this memo field, my contingency plan is to tell the customer that when he is printing his next batch of pre-printed forms (sometime next year as he has 1000's of them now), that he should let me included the text CUSTOMER NOTE: in the start of the memo field....then I don't have to worry about it. I would like to try to give him something sooner than next year.

I could keep 1 Notes field and then 1 memo field that would be lines 2, 3, and 4....but that doesn't seem like a real good solution.

Any suggestions???

Hi

Have not tried this, but would simply putting:

=Space(10) & MyMemo

in the source of the report control to print the memo field cause it to indent?

You may need to adjust the number of spaces (10) and of cousre use your own control nmaes in place of Mymemo

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back