Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre/Post Job on 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

itmastera

MIS
Jun 20, 2002
US
I have created the following bat file on my BE 8.6. If I run it from the backup server by just running the bat it works fine. But when I run it from the Pre / Post job it does not appear to be stopping the services. Any suggestions of what may be wrong? This is the bat file:

@echo off
echo.
echo.Starting the MSExchange Server service...
echo.
NETSVC "Microsoft Exchange Directory" \\LPFCH-EXCH /start > nul
NETSVC "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" \\LPFCH-EXCH /start > nul
NETSVC "Microsoft Exchange Message Transfer Agent" \\LPFCH-EXCH /start > nul
NETSVC "Microsoft Exchange Event Service" \\LPFCH-EXCH /start > nul

Thank you

I would have checked the service account that runs BE. If it's not specified it's the localsystem account, try change this to an user that has rights to the remote server.

Another option is to use the PSEXEC utility from in a script like this:

@echo off
psexec \\LPFCH-EXCH -u "username" -p "password" -c "net start Microsoft Exchange Directory"

(a concern is that the password is shown so this file should be protected)

Hi,

We do the same thing on some of our sites to backup exchange. And although its not the best way to backup
exchange, it still works.

We use the scheduler service to run to batch files about 30 miles before the backup starts.

And this seems to run fine.

Paul If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

You have to place those bat files in the %systemroot%\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT directory. That is where BE looks for the files. You may need to create two bat files. One to start and one to stop, and make those files "call" the actual bat files that stop the services.
IE. the actual bat file to stop the services sometimes has to reside where the service executables exist.
Try it. Good luck!

CORRRECTION!!!
BE looks at the System32 directory for bat files!!
I erroneously stated it was the NT directory within the Program Files\Veritas directory. This was grossly incorrect. I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back