Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-logon to wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbasso

MIS
Jan 20, 2004
US
We have been gradually implementing wireless throughout our district, school by school. For the most part, it is working. However, it never works 100 % of the time. We have an Active Directory enviroment and are using Cisco 1200 series AP's with WPA. We have mobile laptop carts, so a student will probably not always use the same laptop each time. The problem I see happening is the laptop can not make the wireless connection prior to the user logging on. This is an problem since that means the user can not log on unless he/she already has a cached profile on the laptop. I am using the INTEL wireless software which has the Pre-Logon setting configured but it doesn't seem to work consistently. This will happen in an area with a strong wireless signal. Does anyone have similiar "pre-logon connection" experiences.

I have had these issues myself and never found a solution for them.

I used Cisco AP 1200s and Intel 3945ABGs configured for WPA2 and had about 95% success for new user logins. And I had 0% success if I tried to force a password change.

What I noticed is that the Intel Software would "lose" the admin profile. Easy enough to fix but an inconvenience for the user.

Jeffrey Botsford
MCSE/CCNA/Cyber Forensics L1

mibasso:

I have done this before and am giving you steps from memory.

Download the latest Intel ProSet wireless software. Install it then go to the control panel and modify the setting of the software. You need to check all settings. All means everything including subsetting. Then try again.

The key is Single Sign On / Pre-logon connect.

Good luck!

KCBell

If using Windows XP

Uninstall Intel software

Turn on the Microsoft Zero wireless config service. Est. connection to router. Windows will now rememeber the settings. Also Windows will connect to the wireless network before displaying the network logo screen.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

just doing this today and totally agree with above statement ditch the makers software and go with microsofts zero wireless config.. check your ssid list as well ensure no extras in the box...

i found also out of 2 types of laptops that (acer) the wireless comes on at different times if you have one that i have allow 5 - 10 second delay before logging on it might help.. for instance message them " ensure your wireless switch is on before logging on" "if you have not done so please wait 10 seconds before logging on"

good luck

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

Thanks for all your input. I use the Windows Zero Wireless on my laptop and it works great. However my profile is cached, so whether or not I connect wirelessly I will be able to log on. The "student" laptops, where profiles are not cached, are the problem. Are you (schtek and Beowulf005) saying any user can pickup a laptop he never used before and log on.

as long as in range of the wireless & and above conditions are met i find first log on is the longest 15 -20 seconds, depending on size of profile, second time around and in the future for log on times redirection of folders is where i would look at, to speed up log afterwards, esp "my docs"

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

Logging on the local PC admin you can est the wireless connection. That should allow the PC to connect to the access point before the student enters his logon.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back