Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PQ Drive Image Over LAN? Or Ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanLanLan

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
FI
A good looking forum here,howdy ya´ll!

A big disappointment: I can´t get PQ Drive Image to work over LAN to send an image of my laptop to a mapped drive in my tabletop. Searched many forums,this is a known issue. :( When PQ boots to DOS the network is gone, can´t get it back.

I have even tried to build a custom "Virtual DOS" disk, nope,didn´t work. Maybe I´m not up to that task... XP on laptop,2K on tabletop.

People tell me to get Ghost Enterprise but would it grab the image from XP if installed in 2000 as a server? PQ has worked flawlessly, I didn´t have a clue about this LAN problem. Dang.

Thank you for the quick reply,Doc!

I see, the version 7.5 hmmm... no,have not got that one. No Ghost time yet because surprisingly,I have proceeded with the Power Quest bootdisk quite good:

Now I am at the stage where I managed to block my account in the 2000 machine! Cool,I can reach it at least.But for some reason it asks for a password when I "meet" the mapped drive...? Then :

"Access Denied"

After that PQ runs normally but of course doesn´t see the mapped drive. :(

So apparently I am getting closer, can this drive password question be just another Win2k security setting? It won´t block my account anymore because I changed those settings in security but no password should be assigned to the mapped drive. Still no access.So what is that about?

I used PQ-created bootdisks combined with some files and drivers from another DOS disk that can ping my desktop computer... which can ping back,too and that´s all. No access. Hmm...???

I am quite new to networking too,these security things are all too confusing.

I have win98, no xp or 2k, so i really don't know how they work.
The only suggestion I can offer, in win98, once file sharing is enabled on the computer,
you use My computer, right click the drive you want to share, and then setup under the sharing tab. If xp/2k work the same way, you might be able to look there for the shared drive and get the password that was set up for it.

Yup,there are a LOT more sharing options. Plus a LOT more all kind of security stuff related to it. I use 98 as well, my favorite Windoze, a dual boot with 2K but right now It does not like to boot... too much RAM can do that to 98.

Just a matter of configuring it right, not urgent now.

I have lost two drives this year, I refuse to work at all until I get this image-via-LAN to work. Making music for living, these files can get quite big and the systems quite complicated.

I really liked the link you posted, nice to have an option in case this PQ thing will not work out.

BTW,just had a power blackout while writing this. It took a while until I got ups, man,necessary stuff.

Re link
Credit goes to firewolfrl in thread751-477920.
hunting for that i saw thread602-476898 and thread615-76355
too. one of those had more links if you need to do additional research.
good luck.

This is it:

Got the Ghost 7.5 and installed it in my Win 2000 , installed the Ghost Client in my XP laptop, ghosted the whole 30G laptop drive after getting used to the program for ten minutes... transfer took an hour and a half.

No tricks needed. Plain,simple,impressive. Lots of various options available that may look confusing at first but the help is pretty good. "Think simple,stupid" was the key. :)

Can´t be much easier than this. Once again, I should have known better. PQ is a fine program but not for LAN.

A wonderful program. Thanks for links and help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back