Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPTP Client VPN Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogle900

Technical User
Aug 24, 2004
US
Whenever I start up a PPTP connection it only lasts for about 40 seconds before I have log in again. I'll connect and then immediately start up Exchange. Almost immediately after, Outlook will hiccup because the client vpn connection wants to me re-authenticate again. IT will does the entire time. Does anyone know why this happeninig and how I can fix it? Thank you.

Is it always after Outlook?

Outlook has a setting to "Disconnect after send/receive" which may be causing your problem. Outlook would attempt to disconnect your session if this option is enabled.

If you are connecting on your end to a broadband router it could well be an issue with PPTP pass-thru. I know for many of the Linksys broadband routers it took them several firmware tries to get this right.

In the medium to longer term it might be better to move away from PPTP to IPSEC at both ends of the VPN. A lot of people have decided that PPTP and LT2P is just too problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back