Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPThumbs.ptn......can't get rid of it!!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamarineafterglow

Technical User
May 24, 2001
US
Hello all.......hopefully someone knows the answer to this puzzle. I have recently noticed that in every JPG folder and alot of MY DOCUMENTS folders are getting an annoying file for some reason named PPThumbs.ptn . It appears out of nowhere, seems to do no harm by deleting it, Norton doesn't find it as being a virus. So why does it keep coming back and how do I get rid of it????????? Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Aqua

PS. Running Win98.

aquamarineafterglow,

Are you uising a graphic program that amy store a cache file in the directory that it's being used in? Paint Shop Pro does something similar.

reghakr

I think it's produced by a Visioneer scanner, either Paper Port or Photo Port software.

All it is, I think is a list of thumbnails of the picture files in each directory. It may take up space, but that's all it's doing. If it's anything like PSP, then it is created when you browse a directory, there may be an option to turn it off in the software, otherwise it will get re-created each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back