Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.pps (powerpoint show) browser plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi Guys & Gals,

I was wondering if you knew of a .pps browser plugin?

I've had a little hunt and can't find one yet, and hoped that MS might have finally pulled their act together on this one (I know expecting a bit much eh!)

I'm fed up of having to save them as .wmv then converting to .swf , the transitions get messed up, the fonts and layout goes all screwy and basically turns a decent presentation into something, well rubbish really!

Please tell me there is a solution for HTML embedding powerpoint slide shows

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Electronic Dance Music Download

PPT files can play in a browser if PowerPoint is installed.

Doesn't PowerPoint export to HTML slides as well?

Yes, I know powerpoint plays if the user has microsoft office with powerpoint installed or the powerpoint slide show player.

I'm looking for a browser method, active x component, add-in, widget something, anything just like the flash player, so users don't have to have MS powerpoint installed.

Export to HTML is pants, creates nasty web content without transitions or animation.

You'd think after 10+ years of people crying out for this feature MS would have something?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

What I have found is there is a 'web office' version which might facilitate what I need for our members to view PPS without installing proprietry software outside of a simple browser plugin.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Google docs I see mentioned on many threads, but it seems it is just another converter from PPS to HTML, has anyone used this method?

I am not understanding your distinction between installing a plugin vs. installing the free PowerPoint viewer. They both require an installation. Only one of these options really exists so I'm wondering why you are fighting it.

If you don't want any installation, why don't you just prepare your presentation to play with your users' existing technology? Convert PPT to SWF. Even free OpenOffice/LibreOffice can do this.

so you beleive that MS still have yet to provide this functionality.

Oh well I'll keep looking , maybe one day, or maybe people will simply stop using powerpoint when everything is accessed online!

Though as I mentioned, there is MS Web Office, that I have seen allows such functionality from the web rather than installed software.

you'd think there would be a direct output to sliverlight, but that doesn't seem to be an option either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back