Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pppd / dhcp

Status
Not open for further replies.

skanx

Technical User
Dec 16, 2000
FR
I'm trying to estup a pppd server for my technical project @ school :
basically, mgetty listen to the phone line, and when it looks like someone want to use ppp(win9x DUN), it launche ppp... now I want pppd to assign a dynamic IP address to this client. Do I need to use dhcpd ??? and how can I tell dhcpd to maintain a subnet that does not currently exist (no ppp interface when i launch it...)
NP : I need a different subnet for the dial-in users than for the intranet users.
thx for your help :)

If I'm not mistaken, there are entries you can make in /etc/ppp/options and/or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets to set the ip addresses that are assigned. I think I read this in the man pages. You can also have dial-in users determine their own ip addresses in the WinDUN settings. I've gotten this far myself, but I still can't get the Windows clients to "see" the ppp server in Network Neighborhood or by doing a "Find computer". Have you managed this? Has anyone? If so, how?

Charles Nardino
cnardino@bellatlantic.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back