Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPP over Cisco routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobby660

MIS
Sep 11, 2001
GB
I am trying to set up a Sco Openserver 5 box to print to a HP Jet direct server via Cisco routers and ISDN. The routers can ping each other but the Sco box doesn't seem to able to initialise the link or communicate over it once it is up. I presume this is because I haven't configured PPP, (the routers are using PPP). Can anyone help me to set this up.

I think you are going to need to give a bit more explanation than this. I for one haven't a clue what you are trying to ask.

Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Basically the Sco box cannot ping the far end router even though the route is set up. The routers can ping each other though.

You say the route is set up....on which end? both?
Does SCO know to get to router2 thru router1?
does router2 know to get to SCO thru router1?
is there any translations? (NAT)

The two routers can connect to each other with no problem, I have put a static route in Sco to point to the far end network via the local router. If you do a traceroute to the far end router it knows to go via the local router but cann't reach the far end. There are no translations involved.

Remember, the stuff at the other end of the router needs a route BACK too. It's not enough for the router to know how to get back to the SCO box, the printer itself needs to know also- and it has a place to set a default route (which should be its router of course Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back