Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPD mssing from Quark printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

westredd

MIS
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Adobe writer 6.0

Quark Express 6.1
OSX Tiger
Adobe Acrobat Distiller 6.1

Hi,

I have a user that uses quark express on OSK tiger. When he opens a quark file and go to page setup he gets an error message saying that the printer description file is missing for adobe printer, he only gets the choice to select a generic pdf printer instead of the proper adobe pdf. (a window pops up saying:

the PDF printer description file insnt installed. A generic PPD will be used instead
Is it a case of copying a ppd file from another users mac to get the adobe printer listed there?, does anyone know where this file or setting is located on osx? Sorry,. im not that great on macs. Reinstalling adobe writer didnt work,

cheers.

Utilities--PPD management
Navigate to the file where your PPDs are on your hard drive.
Quark will now look in that folder for your PPDs and you will see that list in the Print dialog
Mark

...also worth checking printer configuration via the printer setup utility, found here:

Applications/Utilities/Printer Setup Utility

...normally with an installation of Adobe Acrobat will be an Adobe PDF printer listed here, it is possible to create a desktop printer from here too which can sometimes be handy, choose printers > create desktop printer, this will then appear on your desktop as a shortcut icon...

...from Acrobat Reader Professional it is also possible to run a detect and repair from the Help Menu, this will remake any missing components...

...and just for your information, the default install of PPD's can be found here:

/Library>Printers>PPDs>Contents>Resources>en.lproj

...printers created by a user are stored in the users Library folder:

username/Library/Printers

Hope this helps...

Andrew

Hi westredd
I am running Quark 6.52 on Mac OS 10.4.8 and I don't think Quark has anything in PPD's for PDF printing.
You can go to Quark Preferences under PDF and choose Direct to PDF, rather than Create PostScript File for Later Distilling and he should be able to do PDF.
Rather than print to PDF with Quark I use Export file as PDF.
Also with Quark 6.1 I think I'd upgrade to 6.52 since it is a free upgrade.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

I had the same thing happen with my colour profiles. All my profiles were there and good but wouldnt show up in the profile manager. My permissions went wacked for the folder so quark and every other app using them were pissed. Fix was just a repair permissions with disk utility. That could be a possibility if your PPDs are in the correct location but not loading.

For making PDFs I always create postscripts and distill. PDFWriter and JAWS I avoid like the plague. But that could be another thread rant on its own :p

Cheers

thanks for your help everyone. will post the solution if i fix it. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back