Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ppadmtool hangs upon initial call, not subsequent calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslack

Technical User
Nov 23, 2005
US
I have 1 customer with this situation; I cannot reproduce it in-house; this is on Cognos v7.3 MR2. I have stumped Cognos tech support. I am desperate for a cure; these symptoms cause my batch processes to update cubes to freeze.

The details are ...

1. Win2003 server
2. Log in as either userA, member of Local Administrators, or as administrator itself. Doesn't matter.
3. Invoke a command prompt window, and cd \Program Files\cognos\cer4\bin
4. ppadmtool
5. It should return at once with its own prompt ... a '>' sign ... but it just hangs, and never reaches that '>' sign.
6. Type Ctrl-C to interrupt that process.
7. There are no telltale msgs in Win Event Viewer, etc.
8. Immediately, launch ppadmtool a second time.
9. The second and all later times, it behaves fine ... returning a '>' sign prompt and accepting commands.

This Win2003 server was built in at one domain with a certain name, and this problem did NOT occur at that time.
Once shipped to the customer site, the server name was changed, and also of course it was attached to the new domain.
Perhaps irrelevant, but the problem with this utility seems to have surfaced only after arrival and renaming at the customer site.

What could be causing this????
Thanks in advance ...
Tracy Slack

have you changed the server names ( servername.domain ) in the Cognos Configuration and applied the new configuration ??

Thanks for the suggestion, but ... yes ... the new server has (after some wrestling) had its config fully changed to new domain and server name, applied to Cognos Config Mgr, etc.

what if you send one full command instead of only starting the PPADMTOOL?

something like
Code:
ppadmtool connet server:Port USER myuser PASSWORD mypassword LIST

This should list the root folder of your server and go back to the dos command prompt.

Thanks for continued ideas, but still no dice ... ppadmtool with cmd line params passed in STILL hangs on first call from cmd shell ... it simply does not fully load until interrupted and run a second time.

I would run RSQL_WIN command on the server, than I would check if all related Cognos ports are open.

Vlad

Sorry to be dense, Vlad, but which log files? Win Event Viewer has nothing.

Thanks for your interest in this ... it's driving me nuts ...

Your access manager(common logon server) gets started up on the initial call and can only be used on subsequent calls?

Well, KingCrab, you might be onto something. This server was installed with Cog v7.3 MR2 at one site, on one domain, with one server name. Common Logon Server was installed, among other things.

Since shipped server to another site, changed domain, and changed server name. Had mucho "fun" altering Cognos config to really believe it wasn't in Kansas any more.

Well, I now look in Config Mgr and, under Cognos Shared >> Location >> Common Logon, I do NOT see any entry there such as "c:\program files\cognos\commonlogon\bin"

... have asked my Cognos tech support rep to advise/fix.

KingCrab are you sure that command lines are using the windows common server ?? I have some doubts, as even with the "Cognos yellow key", I have to give the user and password in ppadmtool.

In the Graphic interface then there it is involved for sure.

Tslack do you have any problem running the graphical administration tool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back