Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

powervault 132t slow job rate on Veritas Backup Exec 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

a4andrew

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
Recently in changing the logical partitions it appears the job rate has declined to less than 10 percent of what it should be! Has anyone had similar problems? And more importantly what is the solution besides returning it to the old partition config.

Presently at its slow rate the partitions are set to: [0006..0022]
it used to be [0004..0010]

I once had it at [0004..0014] and this took about 33% longer

Facts:
-- Amount of data is just under 700GB
-- Runs at a job rate of 149MB/min whereas it used to be 1735MB/min.
-- Windows 2003
-- Veritas Backup Exec 10
-- powervault 132t w/ LTO2 drive
-- Such a difference in speed doesn't happen on the Qualstar 8433 I've also repartitioned.
-- the tapes are the same LTO2 tapes that's been written to for awhile, but isn't an issue of the tapes durability

Looking further into this problem...your tape drive may freak out. If it does don't "push it" so hard to make it jam up one of your tapes, like I had. I had pushed the eject button on the front of the drive - just once - and it started giving me the #5 error, which spell the end of it.

I had also what seemed to be SCSI controller issues. It was recommended that I update the driver, but it was already up to date.

After working with the dell technician (really great if you have gold status), we updated the firmware of the library, tape drive, and RMU - in that order. The support docs will tell you differently.

Now it works beautifully. In fact, it has the added functionality that you don't have to deal with a separate set of operations through the library interface - now all through Veritas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back