Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerPoint Template Design Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappion

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
I have a user with 8 different JPEGs (various designs) which are to be used to create one presentation.pot for staff use. The JPEGs were inserted into a blank PPT using Format>Insert>Background and saved as presentation.pot.

Issue: With any pre-existing presentation/text we are attempting to change the background design to the new presentation.pot without re-typing the text - the old and new overlap on screen.

Note: This can be done using the .POTs installed with PowerPoint but not the presentation.pot. What are we missing? Please help. Thanks!

Had this issue a while ago, and for expediency

Open new presentation with new background
Open original presentation
Ctrl A, Copy
Switch to new presentation
Paste

I thought it should've worked as well, but alas, for some reason it disnae.

No doubt someone will be along presently to explain why.

HTH
--Paul

I hope I'm understanding your question correctly. Please forgive me if I didn't!

First of all, did you place "presentation.pot" in the PowerPoint Templates folder?

In a Windows 2000 installation, the templates are in C:\Documents and Settings\[MyUserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. Your presentation.pot should be placed there to be accessible from the menu File-New-General tab.

Now...

To apply the "design" from presentation.pot to an existing presentation:
Open the presentation to which you want to apply the "presentation.pot design"
Click Format
Click Apply Design
Note: The "Files of type" defaults to "Design Templates (*.pot)", but you can change it to *.ppt or several other formats by clicking on the drop down arrow.
Browse to and select "presentation.pot"
Click Apply

To create a New File from presentation.pot:
Click File
Click New
On the General tab, click presentation.pot
Click OK

pappion was basically saying that was what s/he was expecting to happen, as did I, but alas twere for naught.

It works for the POT's shipped with Powerpoint, but creating your own, at least so far, means you can create new presentations, but you can't apply the style to an existing presentation

--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back