Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerPoint links to Excel - Excel open/close loop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huge

Programmer
May 7, 2001
CA
Hi,

I'm running PowerPoint and Excel 2000.

Basically I have 10 different excel workbooks.
I've created 1 summary workbook that is linked to these 10 excel workbooks using paste special. When you open this workbook it prompts to update the linked data which is does ok.

This 1 workbook draws a few charts which I have then linked into a Powerpoint presentation.
The idea was that you would open the excel sheet, update the data and save the changes, then open the powerpoint presentation and update the links here to redraw the charts.

The problem is that when I try to update the Powerpoint presentation, it repeatedly opens the summary workbook and prompts to update links, closes, opens the workbook, prompts to update, closes, opens etc etc.

The number of times it does this seems to be independent of the number of charts in Powerpoint.

I've tried turning off the checkbox on Excel under Tools -> Options -> Calculation -> Update remote references and although this fixes the problem it means that I have to manually go into Edit->Links and refresh the data. Also when I close down the worksheet and reopen it, this checkbox reappears and the problem comes back again...

Sorry for the long post but this is really annoying me (ok the guy who I set this up for is really annoying me...)
:)

Huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back