Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerplay server stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicysudhi

Programmer
Nov 10, 2003
FR
Hi,

my PPES server stops automatically, atleast twice a day. If i check the Windows services, it says Started. However when i try to connect in PPES admin, it says Service not available and same message when tried to access cubes/reports.

Could not stop/restart service from windows services, it hangs after giving a message "could not stop" and status changes to "stopping".

Counld not stop from config manager also, there it gives error when stopping and wont let start.

ppserver.exe is running.

no event log or any other log related to some issue.

anti-virus has been excluded scanning cognos installation folder.

only way to get back service up and running is reboot the server.

anyone experienced similar issues or have any suggestion, please.

thanks in adv.,

regards,
Sudhi

When this happens, how much memory and Virtual memory is used by the ppserver.exe ??

Could be that you have a huge request (several nested columns/rows) which is killing the server.

We have implemented with some monitoring tools, a process which check the amount of memory used by ppserver, if it reachs 700Mb, the services is stopped and restarted.

nope, sometimes this happens in night hrs, when sure there wont be anyone accessing the server!

its unresolved puzzle, no logs nothing.

Same thing happened here with PPES 7.1. We had an scheluded self-build script that was stopping and restarting service. We quit using that and it seem to help. But I still suspect the real reason was the defragmentation software running in backgroung all times. I think the software was PerfectDisk, pd"something".exe

Cheers

[blue]Backup system is as good as the latest recovery[/blue]

i dont have any scheduled scripts running or defragment software as u mentioned. not sure wht the cause. its such a pain that it cannot be monitored. the windows services still says "Started" status even when PP server is down.

Another tack: did the server have a prior install of cognos? If so, perhaps there's still some residue/conflict issue that needs an un-/re-install sequence.

soi la, soi carré

a few questions:

1.what version of windows are you using?
2. did you install the software as system administrator?
3. did you run the configuration manager and start from there?
4. which account runs the cognos powerplay enterprise service?

regards,

christenhusz

1.what version of windows are you using?
Win 2k

2. did you install the software as system administrator?
Yes

3. did you run the configuration manager and start from there?
It wont stop, error 'Could not stop dispatcher'. And then also wont start.

4. which account runs the cognos powerplay enterprise service?
Administrator

thanks.

I would suggest to create a new local account on the server, add it to the local admin group and have the PPES service use that account to see what happens during the day.
If it remains stable, you would say it has something to do with the administrator account you are currently using.

Stefan

tried this. a new windows account with admin rights. But server stopped again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back