Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerPlay - calculating previous member 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger127

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
IL
Hi,
I need to make a calculation, based on time dimension, which takes a measure and calculate the difference in regard to the previous time.

for example, I have the sales for Mar 2005 and I need to calculate Sales (of Mar 2005 ) minus Sales (of Feb 2005).

How do I do that in powerplay 7.3?
I noticed I only have current, first and last functions.

Tnx

Hi,

Off hand dont think this is available. I would think you may have to do some precalculating in your database and bring in the fact that way.

mayoman

Yes, that's right, you can't create a measure that calculates with dimensional characteristics. Instead, you can make special category in the Time dimension, that has growth/change in value and in percentage.

Another way is to bring previous (lets say year's) measure values in a separate sql query, but with current date, like DATEADD(yy,mydate,1). And, have this as a separate measure and then make calculative measures. So in the end you have three measures: Sales, Sales Prev and Sales Change.

Cheers

[blue]Backup system is as good as the latest recovery[/blue]

Hello any for help ?
what is multilingual reports
what is bursting reports..
what is step by step to making report ..
i would be appericate ..

Transformer has relative time periods that will create the calculations for you. You can use current month and previous month for example which will roll over each month to give you a dynamic category.

Dear flex13,
I'd like to thank you for your valuable post.
Could you please describe how to make this calculation in details? Is Previous month one of the available functions in transformer or should I add it somehow?

I'm asking all this questions because someone I work with told me it's impossible.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back