Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerPath question + AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
Currently I have 2 HBA. These HBA are attached to 60 SAN disks each (1 HBA has 60 hdisks associated with them, another HBA has another 60 disks associated with them). Currently there is no powerpath or multiple path software installed on my system. Now if I wanted to install EMC powerpath, would my disks disappear? Has anyone does this before, regular fiber hdisks to hpowerdisks?

TIA

You'd have to install Powerpath and then reboot the server. Once power path is installed and running, should use the hdiskpower devices, else I don't think you'll have failover.
You'll see 120 hdisks, and 60 hdiskpowers for your 60 disks.

Dont forget to change your bootlist to your new hdiskpower disks wich will represent your actual boot disks.

hdisks to hpowerdisks?

yes... just reimport the volume groups.

You will need to assign your 120 LUNs to both HBAs in order to have failover/load balancing functionality. (remember to write down the numbers associated with every hdisk, so you can know what hpowerdisk will correspond to each hdisk).

Dont forget to change your bootlist to your new hdiskpower disks
are you booting from the symmetrix/clariion?

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Charcal:

Thanks.

I am not booting from EMC disks. I have 2 rootvg disks for that.

"(remember to write down the numbers associated with every hdisk, so you can know what hpowerdisk will correspond to each hdisk)."

I am guessing its a good idea to perform an EMC grab, before I do anything on this server.

I am guessing its a good idea to perform an EMC grab, before I do anything on this server.

Of course!! and so it is a good idea to run a [tt]lspv > lspv.txt[/tt]

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

What are the chances of losing my SAN data while performing this operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back